Friday, October 21, 2011

Sympathy and Empathy....

Those two words always seemed weird to me.  I always got them confused.  And to be honest, I looked them up tonight - and the definition for empathy isn't clear at all.  I know what it means and all - but it really isn't a true definition.  Tonight, one of my friends from elementary, middle, and high school, lost his wife today from pancreatic cancer.  And my heart literally hurts for  him.  His two little girls.  Like, I feel nauseous - and pained deep to my core.  I know how sad and empty he feels right now.  And I know that nothing that I can say or do can help.  So I pray.  Because that's all that I am capable of doing.  I know that right now they are all in pain.  Can I empathize?  Yes, No, Maybe?  I don't know what it is like to lose your wife.  To be left as a single father.  I know on the wife's side, but not a husband's.

I also can't imagine to watch your loved one die overtime.  He doesn't know what it is like to lose them in an instant with no warning.  And in my mind, they are both equally horrible.  I guess I feel like I am not necessarily sympathetic or empathetic.  I am hurt.  Deep down.  On a human level - on a sister in Christ way.  And it breaks my heart.  I hope Shaun introduces himself to her.  And I am so thankful she is no longer in pain.  Just pray for my friend.  They are gonna have a long road of healing ahead - and as I know - It is a really bumpy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment