Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I saw the light!

So, tonight, I changed a light fixture.  Changing a light fixture is a two man job.  I truly believe that.  But, I did it by myself.  Now don't get me wrong, Tariq was shining a light, handing me a screwdriver, and running back and forth - he helped a lot.  And I did text a picture of my wires and stuff to a friend of mine, and they told me what to do from there.  But, the physical labor of it all - that was this girl.  And here is another newsflash - if you are doing "Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred", and you are only on day 2 - your arms hurt.  Might not be the best day to change a light fixture over your head.  I think I must have felt like Moses carrying the ten commandments.  That was a workout.

But I think Shaun would have been proud.  He did that stuff for me.  Well, let's be honest, he did everything for me.  But I learned something about myself tonight, and that stinking light fixture.  First, you can really do anything you set your mind to.  Second, don't be afraid to ask for help - most folks are glad to do so.  Third, don't be afraid to be the helper.  My twelve year old helped me a ton.  If he wasn't there, it would have made my job a lot harder, a lot more climbing up and down, and a lot more frustration.  There is nothing wrong with being "subservient" to someone.   Especially if they appreciate it.  I am going to try to remember that when I am doing what I consider a "menial" task.  I want to do it with heart like Tariq's was.  Eager to help, ready to do whatever I ask, and he did it because he loves me and wanted to help me.  I have one amazing kid..(well, three, but you get what I am saying.)

So tonight, I made a point a to hug him a little harder, tell him how much I love him, and how much it meant to me that he helped.  He looked at me and laughed.  Then he said, "Apparently, you didn't listen to Pastor Daniel's message on Sunday.  You missed a piece."  And sure enough I had.  My pastor made an analogy on Sunday, about when you put furniture together, etc. you need all the pieces.   It's never good if you have some extra laying around.  It was just an end piece and an easy fix.  Then he looked at me - kissed me - and said, "I am so proud of you momma.  I knew you could do it."  I told him that I couldn't have done it without him.  He said, "You could have, it just wouldn't have been as much fun."  And he's right.  And he had fun, just by helping.  I love that kid - I have been blessed.  And boy, I think tonight Shaun is looking down on both of us smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment